Friday, August 27, 2021

My Covid Journals

3rd May up to 6th May 2021- I spent the whole 4 days quarantined in my apartment. I didn't even buy any groceries after I got my result. At first I did not planned to trouble my cousin Una who is staying close by with her family since she has kids & other relatives at home. 

The Positive Covid Cases by date:-
3rd May 2021- 2500 cases
5th May 2021- 3744 cases
7th May 2021- 4498 cases

After I found out that people can drop off items at the guard house and the guards will send them up to my front door. I decided to tell her about it and she offered to help me buy groceries, supplement & medicines. I was so grateful that she is around. I even have to force her to take my money for all the things she bought me. I knew she & her husband would not take my money. But I just banked it into her savings account regardless.

Among the few acquaintance that I have, Leong was the one who texted me first and I was so surprised by it since we hardly text each other. (He is married by the way and a lot younger than me). But we do talked a lot after gym class since we are working in the same line. He said the gym asked him if he knows me and they told him about it. Another surprise was my cousin Grace. She found out from our mutual 'friend' YuKong. I guessed my colleague told our ex-colleague and that ex-colleague told YuKong. And he told her. 😀. 

I updated my status in MySejahtera and waited for KKM's calls which never came. Until one day I received a text message asking me to go to Stadium Melawati CAC for assessment. I made an appointment using their website to go the next day. But I received another message from KKM asking me to remain quarantined at home. So I didn't go on the appointed date. Then later on, I received another text asking me to go the the CAC center at a confirmed date and time. I finished up all the works that I can and packed my things. I remembered it was a Friday 7th May 2021. One of my colleague has been taken to the quarantined place by an ambulance a couple of days prior.

I was reluctant to bring my pillow. Luckily I did after being further advised by my colleagues. 
My Bags of necessities

Reached CAC around 9.30am as per appointed time. Parked my car. I stood at the parking lot and did not see any crowd or line. I saw a white tent at the corner of the parking lot. I walked over but saw that it was empty. So I walked around and finally saw the queue. It was not as long as I think it would be.
 
The first queue of the day

While in line, the guy in white protective gears told us to download Selangkah app and fill up all the details there. At this point, I was still confident that I will be allowed to quarantine at home since I only have what I thought to be mild symptoms. So I did not bring all the bags down with me. After filling up all the details, I was asked to go straight into the stadium and began another queue process. I must have queued 4 times. 

The last assessment was done by a doctor, which will determine if I can quarantine at home or be admitted to the quarantine center. I saw the blood pressure device, my heart beats faster since I don't have good results with it when I'm nervous. I was asked if I have high blood pressure and if I took any medication. As far as I know, I do not have any high blood pressure. But I panicked and said, I might have but not on medication. Asked how I know I have high BP? I said when I checked for blood test and it shows high cholesterol. Dumb. The doctor was a little impatient with my dumb answer. She asked do I have diabetes? I told her I don't. But based on my latest blood test, which measures a 3 days average sugar level. I was at borderline. She asked what other symptoms do I have? I said, diarrheas. I was still having upsets stomach at that point but I did not mentioned this to her. However, with this last information on having diarrhea, she decided to admit me to MEAPS PKRC. Damn. My heart sank. I asked can't I quarantine at home since I'm staying alone. She said "No, it's even worst since there will be no one to monitor me in case of emergency". I was given an orange slip with MAEPS, a Tick marking Gelang box & a date written 15/5/2021. I was suppose to be there from 7th to 15th May 2021. A total of 9 days. I knew I didn't pack enough clothes.

Last Assessment queue

So was told to queue at another line, I were to leave my IC there and then was told to get my bags. So I did. And then comes the super long wait for the bus to take us to MAEPS. They did give out biscuits and water while waiting for the bus. It was a fasting month. Some even offered and were allowed to drive to the quarantine center themselves as the wait was so damn long. I wanted to drive myself there too, but I worried I would not know where the exact place is. My mom also told me to wait.

Bus waiting area

So I waited. I started to see people exhibiting selfish act at that time. A group of young dorm students all wearing black kept hogging one of the socket and leaving their phone to charge and kept replacing it with their friends phone. I was trying to conserve batteries since I left my powerbank in the office. I managed to find another power outlet. And after just charging for a little while, a guy approached saying he wanted to charge for a while. This is after I saw him playing with his phone without conserving the batteries. I let him. I must have waited close to 5 hours at the waiting area. I was on the bus at 4.38pm.

Inside the bus. This was where we were given the stickers.

I did not talked to anyone as I was so tired and hungry. The bus journey to MAEPS was another long drive. Maybe it was because of rush hour or maybe because it was raining. We must have reached MAEPS around 7pm and were left at a stop area (open area with roof, Surau & toilet). 

This was the open air stop area where we had our dinner 

We were given our dinner and was told that we will be waiting there until 8.30pm, then we'll be driven up to the designated halls based on the color of the sticker pasted on our sleeves. I knew my yellow sticker meant that I will be placed at a higher alert hall. Since one of the girl who fainted earlier was also in the same group as I am. I met 2 Vietnamese girls at the stop area. I initially mistook them of being from Myanmar. One can speak rather fluent mandarin, the other one does not. They asked me to help translate for them since the health workers & volunteers were all speaking and giving instructions in Malay.

I was in a Surau at the stop area waiting for my phone to charge.

We were brought up to the halls and the first sentence I heard upon entering the halls was, "Why did you guys bring them here?". There were 11 of us. They said that they were instructed to. So not knowing what to do with us, we were asked to wait at the corner while they sort things out. 

Waiting for someone to come and tell us what to do.

We waited quite a while. Nobody came to tell us what to do. I ate cup porridge offered by the Vietnamese girl.

My cup porridge.

They gave me a strawberry croissant too. I just took whatever they offered since I did not bring any food with me at all.

Then one of the patient who saw and pitied us came over and talked to me since I was the only chinese looking person there. She told me to find any empty beds to sleep on. And told us to ask for blankets etc from the front office. I relayed the message to the rest of the 10 ladies. And we were off on our own. I partnered up with the Vietnamese girls Nguyen Thi Dong and Trinth Hong Yen. Both were very young, Hong Yen was born in 1990. Both of them are married. Hong Yen is married to a local chinese. They called me 'jie' = older sister. We got ourselves top bunk beds side by side in a row and knowing that the bottom bed mother & daughter pair will leave early tomorrow morning. We can switch to the lower bed when they leave. I managed to come down early before it was taken over by someone else. The other girls kept sleeping until quite late and didn't manage to secure the beds. It was taken over so fast by other patients.

My bed No. A3-E17. It was near a charging station too. Someone counted that there were more than 500 beds in Hall A3.  Hall A2 was for male patients and less crowded than our hall.

We got ourselves settled down around 1.30am that day. I showered after getting the patient tag and fixing my bed. The 2nd act of selfishness I witnesses was people hogging pillows. Since the pillows provided was too soft and thin. People tend to shove 2 pillows inside the pillowcase and did not even offer any to us when we were searching for one. Lucky that I brought my own pillow. 

My only comfort


 

 





No comments: