Sunday, May 11, 2014

Wedding on May the 3rd

I was back in Sabah last week from May the 1st to May the 5th 2014 to attend cousin Connie's Wedding Dinner at Perkasa Hotel on May the 3rd 2014. I haven’t been back since early this year for Chinese New Year. Since I did not planned any adventures for the first half of the year, this was a good opportunity for me to go home and visit my hometown.

Wouldn't it be cool if they had their wedding on May the 4th 2014. I guess they are not a big fan of Star Wars :p.

We arrived on time at 6.30pm. It was a first for me, considering Ranau people has the tendency to be 30minutes late to everything. And as i stood outside waiting for my big brother and his family to park the car, the cold wind is more than welcoming. Aping (my only younger brother) barely made it. He came in behind the wedding couple wearing what appeared to be a coat. He looked like a wedding singer. He sat on our table next to PapaRoach, all eyes on him. And he was always so comical that we couldn’t help but laughed at him for being so formal with pops. He pat pops on the shoulder and shook his hand and asked ‘ Pa macam?” .. an equivalent to “ How’s it Going?”.. That warrants a laugh from around the table. At the same day, he flew from Bangkok to KL, from KL to KK and took a 2 and a half hour car ride with his friend Esmet to the wedding in Kundasang. I used to planned / think of everything for him. Until one day I realised that he does not need me to do that anymore. I kind of wish that he was born a girl so that I can have a sister and I can do things for her.

This May 2014, Ranau town for the 1st time that i can remember experienced a hot spell. It was free sauna every day and every night. We didn't get the fresh and chilly morning/ night air like we used to. It was a complete contrast to the unusually cold weather that we had early of the year (during Chinese New Year).
I was told by Cousin Carol that the dinner will only start at 7.45pm. This gave us ample time to mingle and catch up with the rest of the family whom i hardly see anymore. I was looking around wondering where they were since i saw a few of them arrived earlier. Cousin Induk was with her new family and i was kind of thinking that she might not want to be disturbed with the baby and all. But as i walked up to her, it was like I never left. We talked and she suggested that we exit to the door next to her table to the backyard for some air.

Lo and behold, the majority of the cousins, nieces and nephews were already out there standing around/ chasing the kids around the green. We are all enjoying the cold mountain air. It was a nice little reprieve from the hot weather in town. Induk has Idan (her husband) to carry baby Ozil around. He was such a Daddy’s boy. One of the cutest babies i have ever seen. Cousin Karen's kid is super cute too. Well i haven't really met the boy face to face. But I've seen pictures and videos. Trust me when i said a baby is cute because if they are not, i wouldn't say a thing. The niece and nephews were running around like they have never seen nicely cut green grass before. I saw worried faces of parents/ cousins keeping their eyes on the running kids. Some even ran along with them. Well that's my brother Wai with his son Yau Yau while his wife catches her breath and was talking to us :). Wai was running along his son with one hand on the hood of his yellow jacket trying to catch him in case his foot catches on to something. They yellow hood which was too big for yau yau was a gift from Wai’s friends when he/ she went to Australia. Such a nice gesture.

I don’t know if I have succeeded in trying to explain what it feels to be surrounded by the people that you have known your whole life and the people that has just recently came into your life and are there to stay. It was a simple wedding on a mountain side where the night sky was clear, the stars were shining, the mountain air was fresh and loved ones were around.

There were dancing and singing by a few regular Ranau’s wedding singer. SIL Brenda also commented that Ranau Got Talent. It was a perfect night. An almost perfect night only marred by innocent children’s fighting the outsider who was just trying to fit in with the tight knit group. I feel for my nephew (Eden) because it was me all over again.

Anyway, I was glad that I was back and I am looking forward to going back again this July for Hari Raya 2014.









2 comments:

Bren said...

What a nice write-up of the event and the family :) Ah Ping's part made me smile.. the 'pa macam'..ahah

Abet said...

So simple yet so funny..
We were all waiting for him to say something...
Bapa also don't know how to react,,:)